Watch out for Jonathan Ross’ TV show tonight. It may well be featuring one or both of the Lampards.
Lampard Junior, whose qualification in Latin has been quoted by many a Latin teacher, to the extent that it has now become legendary, may be challenged to translate football chants, whose complex melodies seem familiar from the terraces, but whose Latinity is unfamiliar. Listen up for one or more of these:
Ten Men went to lift, went to lift Frank Lampard.
· You’re going home in a F*cking ambulance.
· Who ate all the pies.
· I’m forever blowing bubbles.
· We’ve got tiny (Cox) (small player called Dean Cox played for Leyton Orient)
· Super, Super Frank.
· Sit down, shut up. Sit down, shut up.
· You’re not singing, you’re not singing, you’re not singing any more!
Latin versions courtesy of a well-known Classicist.
Filed under: Uncategorized