Once again, an instance of the US raising the profile of Latin. From Bradford County Telegraph.
UCHS Latin students to attend state
Union County High School students participating in the Junior Classical League-the club associated with the Latin class-will attend its state forum from April 12-14 at Jacksonville Wyndham Riverwalk, where the will compete against other schools from throughout the state.
The students attend the Latin regional forum, held at Fletcher High School in Neptune Beach, in February.
The competition was the first for the new club, and it surprised them all when they did so well. Half of the 18 members who attended placed in competitive events.
Students competed in three main areas: academic testing on various aspects of classical, language, culture, history and art; creative projects which displayed their knowledge and interpretation of classical themes and art forms; and athletic competition, consisting of various Olympic events, including chariots races, relays and throwing competitions.
Approximately 500 JCL members from 13 schools attended the regional forum. Union County, despite its small size, certainly made its presence known by placing in some very competitive academic events.
JCL sponsor and Latin teacher Angela Reed hope to continue this success at state. They want to thank those businesses and individuals in the community who are sponsoring their trip, and the club will soon be wearing specially designed state T-shirts honoring the businesses' contributions. Thanks a million! Or in Latin, they would say milions gratis agmus!
The results from the regional forum were:
- - Becky Johns – second place in Customs I; fifth in History of the Empire I.
- - Lillie Emmelhainz – third in Vocabulary I; tied for fourth in Phrases and Mottos I.
- - Tres Hobson – third in Latin Derivatives I.
- - Chelsey Crews – fourth in Grammar I.
- - Tricia Geisenburg – fifth in Greek Literature (all levels).
- - Mary Bullock – tied for fifth in Customs I.
- - Danielle Adler – fourth in Charts.
- - Marcy Cornett – second in Nerf Javelin.
- - Hannah Tucker – third in Nerf Javelin; third in Softball Throw.
©Bradford County Telegraph 2007